Taichung city was created in 1891 out of the blueprint for Taiwan's new and only Provincial Capital city. Evolving from a walled-city of 375 hectares, Taichung was remade into a checkerboard city by the Japanese colonial rulers. Public park and streets as well as schools were introduced and implanted in the Japanese living quarter first and spreaded into Taiwanese older settlements in the outskirts.
Post-war Taichung went through both rebuilding and rapid squatter development at the same time. Cityscape was put aside for the sake of squeezing more space for refugees fleeing from mainland China. As a result, downtown Taichung became a densely populated area with limited public facilities.